Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What I thought I knew

I believe the Hector side of the family were great story tellers. As I continue my research, I can see where some of these stories came from but not all.

Here is a picture of my father and grandmother. Probably the only picture I have of them together and both smiling. Although they were mother and son they hated each other.


This is what I was originally told.
  • My father said he didn't have a true father. The first birth certificate I found after he died had no father listed. I understood what he meant by no true father.
  • My father's middle name was William.
  • My grandmother said she was the only one alive in her family. Besides her parents she only had one sister.
  • They were Maliceet Indian. Heard this tidbit from my father. He also told us that she used to dance in Pow-Wows. He also said at one time we were such a small amount of Indian that it doesn't count.
  • My grandmother was originally from Massachusetts then that changed to Canada.
  • One story that I know is true, confirmed by relatives, is when my parents were dating they would walk into a restaurant and was told to leave because they don't serve my father's kind.
But why so angry to punch a hole in the wall?  

Back then times were so different that many things that happened in families were embarrassing and never talked about.  Now everything about peoples' lives are posted on Facebook.

I really want to know why it was such a taboo subject. It may be a story hidden away forever but right now I'm not giving up.


1 comment:

  1. I remember grandma telling me that story. About how they went to a restaurant and were almost kicked out because they thought grandpa was black. They said he was Indian and they let them stay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment.